Senior Web Developer
Your Core Objectives / Outcomes
- Help modern causes empower their supporters, shape public decisions, and win campaigns, by developing and maintaining a powerful suite of innovative, intuitive and performant advocacy tools.
- Use a wide range of communications APIs to foster and enable effective constituent to representative communication to encourage and evoke meaningful changes in public policy.
- Power democratic participation wherever the open Internet exists, by ensuring that campaign supporters can successfully participate in New/Mode-powered actions with as few barriers as possible.
Your Essential Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop, improve and extend New/Mode’s powerful suite of advocacy tools.
- Write automated unit tests to properly validate critical logic.
- Conduct a critical peer review of code developed by other team members.
- Work with designer to ensure that all developed interfaces pass review for both usability and accessibility.
- Work with QA analysts to ensure that all code is thoroughly tested and that all identified issues have been addressed.
- Participate in group estimation of new user stories.
- Collaborate with product team to improve processes and increase efficiency.
- Contribute to strategic conversations around product vision and roadmap.
You and the Rest of the New/Mode Team Are...
- Motivated by New/Mode's vision of powering democratic participation wherever the open Internet exists.
- Seeking to work for a company that values empowerment, collaboration, participatory decision-making, sustainability and engagement with social and environmental challenges.
- Someone who owns your work and exhibits personal and team accountability.
- Striving for mastery over your work and autonomy in its successful completion.
- Open and transparent about ideas for the success of your team and your capacity to meet deadlines.
- Someone who builds others up, empowers those around you, assumes best intentions and works with best intentions for your team.
- Someone who celebrates and engages with diversity, while looking for common ground and shared wins.
- Driven to see beyond symptoms to identify underlying problems and opportunities for better systems.
New/Mode is a purpose-driven enterprise, providing sophisticated civic engagement tools to the world’s most important causes. We embrace open-source software and we are supported and owned by a network of non-profit organizations and social impact investors.
We believe in a new mode of operation based on the following core values, and partner with people and organizations who share them.
- Empowerment. We empower people to speak in their own voice and take action.
- Collaboration. We aim to help build a society that embraces new tools and processes for sharing and cooperation.
- Participation. We practice and preach decision-making that is open, transparent, collaborative, and focused on those who will be most affected in their daily lives.
- Sustainability. We help create more sustainable, vibrant, and resilient communities.
- Engagement. We are engaged in the world around us, working for a fairer economy and society.
New/Mode is an equity-seeking organization. People who identify as being from marginalized communities, including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, people identifying as LGBTQ2, and people from low-income backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Why Work for New/Mode?
Building a fairer, more sustainable world also means taking care of our team. We offer: living wages, collaboration, experimentation, advancement.
Your Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 5+ years of PHP development experience.
- 5+ years of development experience.
- 2+ years of Drupal development experience
- A solid understanding of Drupal 7 and working knowledge of Drupal 8.
- A sound understanding of Drupal’s Webform module.
- Experience with the Agile methodology.
- Experience working with web services and a variety of APIs.
- Good communication and analytical skills. The ability to translate complex technical concepts into simple terms.
- A good knowledge of possible web application vulnerabilities and the ability to write secure code.
- Experience using the Git version control system to track and coordinate changes with other developers.
- Familiarity with Drush and extending Drush with new commands.
- Familiarity with creating multilingual websites.
- A/B, usability, accessibility and browser compatibility testing experience.
- Knowledge of Drupal coding standards.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work remotely.
- Familiarity with test-driven development and continuous integration.
- A working knowledge of Drupal performance enhancement using tools such as Memcache, Redis, APC, Varnish or Fastly.
- Experience with the following APIs: Twitter, FaceBook, SendGrid, Twilio, Plivo, Callfire, Google Civic, Google Places, Phaxio, Every Politician, Represent, Phantom of the Capitol, GovTrack or Communicating with Congress.
- Experience with the following CRMs: SalesForce, ActionKit, Salsa, CiviCRM, NationBuilder, Hubspot, Engaging Networks, ActionNetwork or others.
- Knowledge of data scraping and associated tools and libraries.
- Familiarity with Business Intelligence systems and techniques.
- US, Canadian, UK, EU and Australian market experience.
- Health Spending Account
- Long-term Disability and Life Insurance
$65,000 to $100,000 CAD